support home

Back to website
Welcome
Login  Sign up

Do Not Track disclosure (new California law) support?

Let me elaborate. The law only states that one must publicly post how the website responds to the DNT header (yes we do something with DNT, or no, we don't). If you say that you will acknowledge and accept the DNT header, then you must state how your site functions differently when someone has DNT turned on (no remarketing pixels, no analytics, etc). It goes without saying that if you say your site will behave differently, it better damn well do it, or you could face FTC fines. Much easier is to just say no, we do not adjust the content of our site if you have DNT turned on. This is where iubenda could come in -- boilerplate language.
  • Hi Tim, itchybeard, thanks for the questions & even more so for the elaboration part. We have it on our list internally and as you say it looks like this may be the easiest way out and the one we'll take. We'll update/let you know about the changes on the blog once it's implemented. If there are any questions extending this answer please feel free to post below or get in touch. :)
  • The new law goes into effect Jan 1, 2014, and adds a requirement to disclose how the website/app responds to the "Do Not Track" (DNT) http header. How does iubenda plan to handle this change?
  • I just implemented that my site doesn't load Google Analytics if the DNT header is "1". Which sentence could I add to my privacy policy now?
  • Hi Nicolai, we added some default DNT wording on January 1st 2014. Since you DO actually react to DNT requests, that is a good question. There are two ways: You add a custom service contradicting that default statement by saying a word about Do Not Track requests in particular. There you go into depth about that usually your site doesn't do anyhting about DNT, but it doesn't load GA. The second option is that we'll do custom work for you in which we'll take that default wording out and place the proper disclosures in a separate clause. Hope this helps :) Simon
  • Thanks Simon, your response is very informative! Is there maybe the third option to just keep the privacy policy as it is? Since the DNT regulations are not very strict at this time stating less (nothing) than I actually do (nothing but Google Analytics) wouldn't hurt regarding the law, or does it?
  • Hi Simon, any thoughts on my previous comment?
Login or Signup to post a comment